Thursday, July 26, 2007

"Problems of Evolution" book outline: Contents

Now that I have started a second blog, The Shroud of Turin, I have decided to focus my now more limited time here on CED

[Left (click to enlarge): Diagram of "the bacterial flagellum ... a huge protein complex made of about 25 proteins" Protonic NanoMachine Group, Osaka University (my emphasis)]

into largely confining my posting to an outline of the book "Problems of Evolution" that I have been trying to write since at least 2004!:

PROBLEMS OF EVOLUTION
© Stephen E. Jones, BSc. (Biology)

1. INTRODUCTION
2. PHILOSOPHY
3. LOGIC
4. RELIGION
5. HISTORY
6. SCIENCE
7. EVOLUTION
8. DARWINISM
9. DESCENT
10. MECHANISMS
11. ORIGIN OF LIFE
12. CELL
13. MOLECULAR
14. DEVELOPMENT
15. FOSSIL RECORD
16. MAJOR TRANSITIONS
17. MAN
18. SOCIAL
19. POLITICS
20. EDUCATION
21. LAW
22. DESIGN
23. CREATION
24. CONCLUSION
BIBLIOGRAPHY

This Contents page will contain the hyperlinks to each chapter, and each chapter in turn will contain the hyperlinks to each section in it. Each section will have its own page. The numbering of sections and even of chapters will probably change as the book outline grows. If I make changes to an existing section I won't post it again. I will try to post at least one new section a week, not necessarily in chapter or section order. Because of the limitations of Blogger's format, each section will have to be brief, which is not necessarily a bad thing! While I may occasionally post here on other creation (including Christianity), evolution and design issues, writing this book outline will be my main focus on this blog.

Comments are welcome but as per my stated policy, I no longer have the time or inclination for extended debate, so I will generally only respond once to each comment that appears.

Since I still intend to use this material eventually as the basis of a published book , I hereby assert copyright over this page and all "Problems of Evolution" pages under it.

Stephen E. Jones, BSc. (Biology).
My other blog: TheShroudofTurin


"There are, of course, difficulties in the theory of evolution. You raised a selection of the most serious ones. ... It is never, however, necessary to postulate a leap which would imply prevision by a designer. That is why one finds no example of ... the wheel ... which would be useless till fairly perfect." (Haldane, J.B.S., in "Is Evolution A Myth?," C.A. Watts & Co/Paternoster: London, 1949, p.90. My emphasis)

"THE WHEEL is the proverbial human invention. Take apart any machine of more than rudimentary complexity and you'll find wheels. ... Whenever humans have a good idea, zoologists have grown accustomed to finding it anticipated in the animal kingdom. ... Why not the wheel? ... There is one revealing exception to my premise. Some very small creatures have evolved the wheel in the fullest sense of the word. ... Many bacteria, of which Rhizobium is typical, swim using thread-like spiral propellors, each driven by its own continuously rotating propellor shaft. ... The bacterial flagellum is attached to a shaft that rotates freely and indefinitely in a hole that runs through the cell wall. This is a true axle, a freely rotating hub. It is driven by a tiny molecular motor ... a molecular turbine. ... " (Dawkins, R., "The Ancestor's Tale: A Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Evolution," Houghton Mifflin Co: Boston MA, 2004, pp.543, 545, 547. My emphasis)

2 comments:

Forrest Charnock said...

I am trying to understand your position on common ancestry. By universal do you mean we are related to onions or just that dogs, dingoes , coyotes etc. are all descended from a wolf?
Love your quote collection, thanks.

Stephen E. Jones said...

peddler

Thanks for your comment.

>I am trying to understand your position on common ancestry.

As I state in my post, "What I believe about Creation, Evolution and Design" my position on common ancestry is:

Common ancestry. I accept universal common ancestry (but not evolution). That is, I accept that all life on Earth, both living and dead, shared a single common ancestor at the origin of life. And that thereafter all life has descended with modification from that single common ancestor. But that modification was by both supernatural and natural means.

>By universal do you mean we are related to onions or just that dogs, dingoes , coyotes etc. are all descended from a wolf?

Both: "we are related" by lineal descent from a shared common ancestor "to onions" and also to "dogs, dingoes , coyotes" which "are all descended from a wolf".

That is, humans share a common ancestor with "dogs, dingoes , coyotes" and wolves, and we and they, and all animals in turn share a common ancestor with "onions" and all plants.

This no doubt sounds fantastic to most people (as it once did to me), but at the molecular level, all life, including humans, dogs, and onions, share the same basic biochemistry, DNA genetic code, proteins, and molecular machinery.

See also my web page: "Why I (a Creationist) Accept Common Ancestry (Not Evolution).

I will state this when I get to 1.5. My personal position on evolution.

>Love your quote collection, thanks.

Thanks.

Stephen E. Jones